Read Time: 4 minutes
Memorial Day weekend is coming up fast, which means summer is almost here. Fond memories of potlucks at parties with friends and family might come to mind. The sizzle of the grill, the sunshine warming your shoulders, and more daylight hours to spend with loved ones.
However, heading to a Memorial Day party might have you feeling left out if you’re a vegan or vegetarian. Often red meats, heavy side dishes like coleslaw and potato salad, and dairy-heavy desserts win at spring and summer get-togethers. If you’re lucky, there will be options for you, but if you don’t want to leave it to chance, here are three amazing recipes to make a full-course vegan meal to bring with you. Even people who are carnivores won’t be able to resist trying these tempting dishes!
Vegan S’mores Bars
Cue campfires and childhood. These s’mores bars take this traditional treat up a notch, not to mention they are free of animal products!
Graham Cracker Layer
½ cup vegan butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
1.5 cups all-purpose flour
1 cup brown sugar
2 tbsp plant-based milk
3/4 cup graham cracker crumbles
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
½ tsp salt
Chocolate and Marshmallow
⅓ cup graham cracker crumbs
1 cup vegan chocolate chips
1.5 cups vegan mini marshmallows
- Set oven to 375 degrees F. Line a square baking dish with parchment paper.
- Add vegan butter to a large microwave-safe bowl. Microwave for 15-30 seconds to melt. Add light brown sugar, plant-based milk, and vanilla extract. Whisk.
- Mix dry ingredients: Combine flour, baking powder, cinnamon, graham cracker crumbs, and salt. Whisk together.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients, and mix.
- Smooth out the dough in the baking pan. Top with chocolate chips, marshmallows, and graham cracker crumbs.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes. After, remove it from the oven. Once cooled, slice GENTLY into even bars. Enjoy!
Vegan Potato Salad
Vegan alternatives are popping up everywhere——traditional side dishes included! Try this creamy, delicious potato salad and enjoy. Everyone loves a classic.
4 pounds white or gold potatoes, peeled and chopped into small cubes
1 cup vegan mayo
3 stalks of celery, diced
3 green onions, chopped
1-2 tbsp chopped dill
1 cup sweet pickle relish
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
2 teaspoons celery seeds
salt + pepper, to taste
- Add the chopped potatoes to a large pot and cover them with water. Bring to a boil and cook for 10-15 minutes, until the potatoes are tender when pierced. Drain the potatoes in a colander.
- Whisk together the vegan mayo, pickle relish, yellow mustard, apple cider vinegar, celery seeds
- Place potatoes in a large bowl while still warm. Add the chopped celery, green onions, dill, tofu, and dressing to the potatoes, and stir gently to mix until coated. Add salt + pepper to taste.
- Place bowl in the refrigerator for at least 2-3 hours before serving. Enjoy!
Vegetable & Tofu Skewers
Grilled skewers are one of the best summer treats, and this recipe is flexible, meaning you can really add any marinade, dipping sauce, or seasoning you like. Try a teriyaki spin, lemon garlic marinade, or smoky spices.
1-2 packages firm or extra-firm tofu
1 zucchini, chopped 1-inch thick
1 summer squash, chopped 1-inch thick
2 cups of large mushrooms
1 bell pepper (color your choice), chopped
1 sweet onion, or purple onion, big chopped pieces
1 cup of any dressing you like (see our suggestions above)
Salt and pepper, to taste
- Slice your tofu into large cubes.
- Combine tofu and veggies in a shallow bowl or plastic bag. Cover with dressing and allow to marinate for an hour, up to 12 hours.
- Stick tofu and veggies on pre-soaked skewers and season with salt and pepper (or any spices you like).
- Carefully place on heated, greased grill for 5 to 6 minutes, turning once, until veggies are cooked and tofu is lightly browned.
Want More?Looking for more ways to complement a healthy, vitamin-rich diet? Check out our sugar-free, non-GMO, vegan, keto-friendly, and gluten-free supplements today. We make it EZ to get your daily nutrition. Thank you for being a part of the EZ Melts community.