Read Time: 4 minutes
When you’re feeling sick, the last thing you want to do is worry about what you’re going to eat. However, it’s important that you make sure to feed yourself well so that you can recover as quickly as possible.
In this blog post, we will discuss the best and worst foods to eat when you’re sick. We will also talk about the importance of specific vitamins during times of illness for immunity support.
Foods to Eat When You're Sick
- Chicken Noodle Soup - This classic soup is not only easy to make but it is also packed with nutrients that will help you feel better. The chicken provides protein that will help your body repair itself, while the noodles and vegetables are easy on your stomach.
- Leafy Vegetables - Veggies, especially green ones, are filled with vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants that can support your body while sick. The vegetables will also provide you with natural energy and help you stay hydrated, and typically contain vitamins A, C, D, and iron, all helpful in supporting your immune system.
- Yogurt - Eating yogurt when you're sick can help replenish the good bacteria in your gut that may have been lost due to vomiting or diarrhea. Make sure to choose a yogurt that is high in probiotics for the best results. However, if you're congested try to avoid anything dairy-based, as it can make it worse.
- Herbal Tea - Drinking herbal, non-caffeinated tea when you're sick can be comforting and minimize symptoms like sore throat and coughing, especially when combined with honey. Ginger tea is helpful in relieving nausea. Chamomile tea can also be soothing and help you to relax while you're under the weather.
- Bone Broth - Bone broth is packed with nutrients like amino acids, minerals, and collagen that can support your body while sick. The broth can also help to soothe a sore throat and digestion, and the heat is sure to comfort you!
Foods to Avoid When You're Sick
- Spicy Foods - When you’re sick, your stomach is already delicate and prone to upset. Eating spicy foods will only make this worse and can cause heartburn or indigestion.
- Sweets - While it may be tempting to reach for the candy when you’re feeling under the weather, sugar can make you feel worse. It can lead to serious fatigue and worsen symptoms like congestion.
- Dairy - Dairy products can be difficult to digest when you’re sick and can also worsen congestion. If you do eat dairy, make sure to choose options that are easy on your stomach, like yogurt or cottage cheese.
- Fried Foods - Just like spicy foods, fried foods are hard to digest and can make you feel even worse. They can also cause heartburn and indigestion.
- Caffeine - Caffeine can dehydrate you, which is the last thing you want when you’re sick. It can also make it difficult to get the rest you need. Make sure you're getting extra fluids if you do have a coffee or tea break.
Vitamins to Take When Sick
- Vitamin C - Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that can support your immune system. It also encourages lower levels of inflammation.
- Vitamin D3 - Vitamin D3 is important for immunity, bone health, and muscle function. It can help support your mood and energy levels during a downswing.
- Zinc - Zinc is an essential mineral that supports the body in immune function, cell growth, and wound healing.
- Beta-Glucan - Beta-glucan is a type of fiber that can support a healthy immune system response, specifically encouraging active white blood cells.
If you’re under the weather, important to focus on getting plenty of rest, staying hydrated, and eating nutrient-rich foods. However, adding certain vitamins and minerals to your diet can also be helpful in supporting your immune system, so you can get back to feeling yourself again.
Save 30% on Subscription Orders
If you're looking for an easy way to support your immunity during a sick day, consider daily vitamins to support your body before, during, and after illness.
Our vitamins are non-GMO, vegan, sugar-free and free from the nine most common allergens. We make it EZ to get the nutrition you need with our fast-melting supplements.
And with our subscription service, you’ll never have to worry about running out of the supplements you need! Use code EZ30 at checkout to save 30% off your first subscription.